Panic in Amritsar as Multiple Schools Receive Bomb Threats; Students Evacuated, Parents Rush to Pick Up Children
Panic swept through Amritsar on Friday morning after several prominent private schools received identical bomb threat emails, triggering massive evacuations and sending anxious parents rushing to collect their children.
School authorities confirmed that the threatening emails claimed bombs had been planted on their premises. Acting swiftly, school managements initiated emergency protocols, closing campuses and informing parents to take their wards home immediately.
Police Commissioner Gurpreet Singh Bhullar said that suspicious emails had been received by multiple schools in both the urban and rural belts of the district. “A Gazetted Officer has been deployed at each school, and anti-sabotage checks are underway,” he said. The city’s Cyber Police Station has begun tracing the source of the threatening emails.
A senior administrator of a well-known private school told The Tribune that the threat arrived on the school’s official email ID. “As soon as we received the email, our immediate response was to ensure the safety of our students. We messaged parents informing them that the school had been closed for the day. Even if this turns out to be a hoax, we cannot take any risk in the wake of the recent Delhi blast,” the school head said.
In another school, authorities immediately alerted the police. A bomb squad was dispatched and carried out a thorough search of the premises.
Parents described the situation as extremely distressing. “As soon as I got the message, I rushed to the school to pick up my child. After the recent hostilities and attacks in Pahalgam and Delhi, it is frightening to experience something like this,” said Anuradha Khanna, whose child studies in a private school near Manawala.
Deputy Commissioner Dalwinder Singh convened an emergency meeting to assess the situation. District Education Officer Rajesh Sharma said, “Our officials are in discussion with school heads. We are examining all possibilities and fully cooperating with the police. I visited the schools immediately after being informed.”
Security checks are ongoing across all affected institutions as authorities work to determine whether the threats were credible or part of a coordinated hoax.