It took India just 12 balls on Day 4 to win the third test by an innings and 202 runs to complete the whitewash. Debutant, Shahbaaz Nadeem took the last two wickets of Theunis de Bruyn and Lungi Ngidi in successive balls and ended the Proteas misery. The man of the match and man of the series award went to Rohit Sharma for his 212 in the first innings and 512 runs in the series which set up the match and series in India's favour.
He broke a few more records as well:
1. 1st player to score 500+ (529)runs in an #INDvSA Test series.
2. 4th player to score a double hundred in both ODIs and Tests.
3. 2nd Indian opener to score three centuries in a single Test series after Sunil Gavaskar.
4. Most M.O.M Awards in the Test Championship - 2*
He took to Twitter to express his love and admiration for his teammates:
With this series win, India sits at the top of the World Championship table with 240 points. Indian has won 5 Tests out of the 5 played including two big series wins as well. The second and third team on the table are New Zealand and Sri Lanka respectively with 60 points each.
With this win, the skipper Virat Kohli broke a few more records:
1. Tests played - 24
Won - 18
Lost - 1
2. 1st Indian captain to whitewash South Africa in Tests
3. Follow-ons enforced - 8*
4. Most International wins vs SA as Captain:
R. Ponting - 22 in 44 matches
V. Kohli - 16* in 22 matches
5. India hasn't lost a match in which India won the toss (21 wins & 3 draws in 24 matches)
The record books are having to add more pages all thanks to Virat Kohli and his team's dominance. India is playing an aggressive brand of cricket which might have irked a few but it has surely brought fruits for the team and the nation. With Sourav Ganguly becoming the BCCI president, the approach is going to remain the same with more focus on Test cricket and winning away from home.
Virat Kohli led team is going to play Bangladesh next. The tourists, Bangladesh will start the tour with a 3-match T20 Series from Delhi's Ferozshah Kotla. Although there are some issues going on between the board and the players, the 'Bengal Tigers' are expected to resolve them and play a full team in the first T20 on 3rd November 2019.