Toilets play an important role in impacting public health, human dignity, and personal safety and control the spreading of many waterborne and soil-transmitted diseases.
World Toilet Day is observed on November 19 every year which was established by the World Toilet Organisation in 2001 and officially adopted by the United Nations in 2013. UN-Water is an agency that manages and maintains the official World Toilet Day website and in 2019 it chose a special theme which is "Leaving No One Behind".
This day is observed to inspire the actions in order to tackle the issues prevailing related to global sanitation. It is to inform and engage the public by taking actions to achieve this goal.
The theme 'Leaving No One Behind' focuses on sanitation which is everyone's right. A total of 4.2 billion people are void of safe sanitation and 673 million still practice open defecation.
A little number of around 40 countries from 152 are able to achieve the basic sanitation by 2030. To achieve this goal, access to safe toilets is necessary, to leave no one behind.
BASIC ETIQUETTES TO FOLLOW WHILE USING TOILET
1. Smelly toilets can create a big issue, so never leave the bathrooms dirty. Always flush the toilet after using it.
2. While using the toilet make sure the door is locked carefully and don't try to peep inside the door when someone is inside. Take care of your privacy and of others too
3. For females, avoid carrying handbags in the toilets as it is not hygienic to hang it somewhere especially in public toilets.
4. Do not make the seat wet or throw water on it. Make sure you wipe the same with a tissue paper and make it ready for others with proper flushing after using it.
5. Please do wash your hands with soap or sanitizers after using the toilets
6. Please avoid spitting or writing on the inner walls of the toilets.
7. Always use dustbins to throw the tissue paper and never flush it in the toilet seat.
8. Never leave the taps running in the toilet or bathrooms.
9. Do not spend more time inside a public toilet. Give time to others and don't make them stand in a long queue.
10. Avoid smoking in public toilets as it leads to air pollution and suffocation.