Paatal Lok is designed as an investigative crime thriller. Four killers have been arrested for trying to murder Sanjeev Mehra , the head of a leading news channel and one of the country's most high profile journalists. The case has been assigned to s washed-out mediocre cop who works in the outer Jamuna Paar police station or what he calls paatal lok where 'keede' , (insects) live. As soon as he dips his feet into this case he realizes that this can prove to be s game changer case for his career because it involves Sanjeev who comes from the upper echelons or swarg lok .
So what revelations, confrontations, dilemmas, realities, facts ,conflicts etc does he comes across . Well that's the show.
I've never been so happy in recent times as the last thing i binge watched was the NETFLIX movie Mrs Serial Killer . But this gave me a blissful and beautiful cinematic experience.
So I'm breaking down the entire series for you here.
I want to mention the producers first because their brave nod in yes has provided us this masterpiece . Paatal Lok is produced by Clean Slate Filmz run by Anushka Sharma and her brother Karnesh . Anushka has always proved this with her production choices that she is always up for novel , engaging and great scripts. An actress who is on top of her career backing up such a controversial subject is something which needs nerves of steel. Kudos to Anushka Sharma for backing this up and more power to her .
2) STORY, SCREENPLAY AND DIALOGUES:
This has been written by Sudip Sharma who wrote NH10 and Udta Punjab previously. He has cowritten the series with Gurjit Chopra, Sagar Haveli, Hardik Mehta.
The skillful writing has to be the focal point of the series. The ingenious writing , novel storyline, eccentric idea and treatment has to be given bonus points.
The dialogues are so natural that you just forget that you're watching something. They go straight to your heart. The dialect , lingo be it haryanvi, bhojpuri, punjabi, bengali everything has been well researched and masterly weaved into the final product.
The pace of the screenplay is a bit slow in the first two episodes but it just can't allow you to blink from the mid point of episode two. Keeping you on the edge of your seat is not easy . Writing a perfect screenplay is not easy but this one has been penned by experts .
I might not be able to cover all the actors but let me make this very clear that each performance is simply brilliant.
● Jaideep Ahlawat as Hathi Ram Chaudhary. Let this be said loud and clear. JAIDEEP IS A STAR. He might win all the possible awards this year for a performance so peerlessly done. He owns the show . He is a gifted actor .
● Gul Panag
as Renu is very natural . She does
justice to her role and looks the part that she plays.
● Neeraj Kabi as Sanjeev Mehra is outstanding. He gets the body language right. He is fabulous.
● Jagjeet Sandhu as Chaaku is magical. This man speaks so much with his body language that he doesn't need to speak . He has stayed very natural and realistic. I love that scene when he craves for cigarettes.
● Abhishek Banerjee his eyes, his face is something that is going to stay with you for a very long time. He haunts you the most. He is so unpredictable that you literally shiver whenever he appears on screen.
● Mairembam Ronaldo Singh as Chini deserves all the love . Saying yes to a role like this in itself is so daring. When you watch her perform, your love for the art of acting and its artists will grow . Her crying can make you cry. She has a brief role but what an impact.
● Aasif Khan as Kabir M is good , little to do but he males his presence felt.
● Niharika Lyra Dutt as Sara Mathews is good.
● Ishwak Singh as Imran Ansari can make you fall in love with him. He is innocent, cute and endearing and his performance is outstanding.
● A special mention has to be made for
Swastika Mukherjee as Dolly she has a brilliant screen presence. Her portrayal of anxiety attacks is super realistic. Her love , care, tension ,innocence everything appears on her face . Her acting belongs to a very high quality and understanding of the craft
● There are a lot of veterans like Manish Chaudhary, Akash Khurana, Rajesh Sharma as i said all of the actors have given great performances.
4) DIRECTION AND OTHER TECHNICAL ASPECTS :
This one is directed by Avinash Arun along with Prosit Roy. As far as the direction is concerned they master the skill. Every frame has a metaphorical reference. Every character is well written. The performances are of a very high order .
Every episode ends with a cliffhanger. The geography is real and relevant. Attention to detail is spot on . The chase sequences are fun to watch. The cinematography by sourabh Goswami and Avinash Arun is very raw, very bare and real. I would commend them for capturing the nude scenes so sensitively and effectively.
5) FINAL VERDICT
The opening of the third episode has the ability to give you chills
Episode 3 is the most disturbing to watch . Although the dialogues are superb but this one stayed with me , " Jise maine musalmaan tak nahi banne diya apne use jihadi bana diya "
This series is so fearless that it touches everything every sensitive topic that can shake up the majority of this country . But the real potrayal in the series is such that you'll love it for being so raw. What happened in kabir Singh also happened here but with a twist that might lead you smiling
Spread the good word after watching this intense and very real but not over baked series.
I'M GOING WITH 4 / 5
YOU CAN WATCH IT ON AMAZON PRIME