Godfather of Bollywood, Salman Khan has been pronounced guilty by Jodhpur court on Thursday. The court sentenced him to a jail term of 5 years and a fine of Rs.10,000.The actor was accused of killing two blackbucks in the village Kankani of Rajasthan in the year 1998 while he was shooting “Hum Saath Saath Hain”. [caption id="attachment_33492" align="aligncenter" width="759"] Source[/caption]
What all you need to know about this case:
- Salman Khan, Neelam Kothari, Tabu, Saif Ali Khan, Sonali Bendre and Dushyant Singh, a local resident who accompanied the actors for poaching were accused of killing two Blackbucks 20 years back.
- While Salman Khan has got 5 years of jail sentence and Rs.10,000 fine for shooting the blackbucks dead, the rest have been acquitted due to lack of evidence.
- The case has been in progress for 20 years.
- Salman was charged under section 51 of the Wildlife protection case where hunting of blackbucks is prohibited and under Arms act as the license of the gun he used was expired.
- Judge Dev Kumar Khatri pronounced him guilty.
- Earlier, Salman had claimed that he actually ‘ saved the deer’ and didn’t kill him as he fed him biscuits and water.
- Salman has been convicted earlier in 2006 for a 5 year jail sentence and after spending a week in jail, his sentence was suspended by the Rajasthan High Court.
- There were a total of 4 cases against Salman and today’s case was the last in the lot.
- Salman has been taken to Jodhpur Central jail where Asaram Bapu is serving his sentence and will be put in same barracks as his.
- Salman’s sisters Arpita and Alvira accompanied him to the court. They broke down as the judge read out the sentence.
- Heavy security has been arranged at the jail as there are death threats to the actor from gangster Lawrence Bishnoi.
- The Bishnoi community was the happiest when Salman stepped out of the court. They cheered and celebrated as Bishnois are passionate about protecting Blackbucks, an endangered species. Bishnoi community has always been known for protecting trees and animals like during the chipko movement.
- Anand Desai has been fighting Salman’s case.
- Salman’s lawyers will now approach Rajasthan High Court for bail.
[caption id="attachment_33493" align="aligncenter" width="600"]
Source[/caption] The actor has various movies like Race 3 and loveratri in his kitty for which he has to shoot and promote. Let’s see if he gets bail to shoot them.