Many people prefer treating their cold and cough with natural remedies. There are many herbs and essential oils which can help you to lessen the trouble of cold. In the following article, we have got a few home remedies to fight with cold and cough, which are not only natural but also very much effective.
1. Honey tea
Honey is beneficial for your health and it’s very effective for cough and cold. Honey is exceptionally beneficial to relieve cold and even over medicines which contain dextromethorphan (DM), a cough suppressant.
The best way to take it:
· Take two teaspoons of honey with warm water
· Honey can be taken with herbal tea too.
· Add lemon to the tea or water, whichever you are taking.
· Honey does the soothing
· Lemon will help with the congestion
· The mixture will help you recover from the sore throat
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties which will help the one with dry or asthmatic cough.
It may also relieve nausea and pain.
HOW TO PREPARE IT
· Prepare a tea with 20 -40 grams of fresh ginger
· Add lemon juice or honey to make it taste better and also for the benefits it will give to your cough.
Ginger tea can make your stomach upset too or cause heartburn to some, so be careful while drinking it.
We usually avoid water when we are having cough or cold but it is imperative to stay hydrated and drinking liquids at room temperature can increase the problem for us. We at time of cough cold prefer warm water but this can increase the problem of cough, sneezing, sore throat, chills and running nose.
There are few hot beverages which can be helpful in a cough which includes:
· warm fruit juices
· decaffeinated black tea
· herbal teas
The best home remedy for wet cough is steam. This kind of cough produces phlegm or mucus and staying in a hot shower or staying in steam for a while can help the symptoms subside.
POINT TO NOTE:
After taking the hot shower drink a glass of water to avoid dehydration and cool down your body.
You can also prepare a steam bowl -
· Fill a bowl of hot water
· Add essential oil and herbs to it like rosemary or eucalyptus for relief in decongestion
· Keep your face over the bowl and cover your head with a towel.
· Inhale the steam for 5 minutes and stop if it feels too hot.
This home ready will help you soothe the scratchy throat which may have been causing your cough.
· In 8 ounces of warm water add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt and gargle with it.
· Keep the water at the back of the throat for a few seconds before spitting it out.
· Gargle with this water multiple times a day until the cough improves.
This will help you get rid of the itchiness.
This home remedy has age limitation where children below 6years of age can not try it.
This remedy will help you recover from sore throat and wet cough.
HOW TO EAT IT:
To avail the benefits of pineapple and bromelain, drink 3.5 ounces of fresh pineapple or eat a slice of it three times a day.
Bromelain is not an option for children or adults who are on blood thinners.
Those taking any kind of medicines should first consult a doctor as one can be allergic to bromelain.
It has anti-inflammatory properties and helps in breaking down mucus as it is believed to have mucolytic properties.
7. Dietary changes for acid reflux
One of the major causes of cough is Acid reflux. So one should avoid food which can increase the acid reflux to reduce cough. Most of the people are unsure about which food causes acid reflux so here is a list of common acid reflux:
Chocolate, Fried and fatty foods, Tomatoes and tomato-based products, Alcohol, Caffeine, Citrus foods, Garlic and onions, Mint and Spices and spicy foods.
ALSO READ :